Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Fourth Moon of Jupiter

How does one address a bad incident when in the grand scheme of things that incident was merely a blip within it all?  That's why you're here, that's why I wrote about it and that is why birds sing (no not really).

I decided recently to travel into Chicago to the Congress Theater to see Anthrax, Testament and Death Angel and despite the distance from my home to that venue we went any way.  Having a hotel room in the 'Burbs and the insanity of getting in and out of Chicago on occasion and the potential nightmare of parking in the City made the decision to take public transportation a no-brainer.  With the Congress Theater being located so close to a CTA stop (the Congress is on Milwaukee Ave.), the train was the solution.

Any time one takes public transportation, it is possible to encounter some interesting individuals in big metropolitan areas especially.  I've been on the trains in Chicago before, they really don't bother me and as we made the trip it was completely uneventful (like I thought it would be).  For anyone that has taken public transportation (the CTA for example) knows that although most of the people working there are friendly if you give them respect (just like real life) but every now and then you encounter that one...

As we left the train we encountered a CTA employee sitting quite firmly on a stool and I respectfully asked what direction we had to travel to get to the Congress.  I'm not really sure what I did but the "blue behemoth" pointed in a direction and didn't even glance up as she pointed.  I suppose I had a minute of grand stupidity because I followed the "directions" given to me by the fourth moon of Jupiter and I began to meander my way to the theater.  Have you ever been so lost that you know beyond the shadow of a doubt you are lost without having to be prompted, I did.

As I plodded through the streets of Chicago with the breakneck speed of a dead goat, it became painfully obvious that I was good and lost so as we approached a restaurant there was a young man, a valet actually and by some incredible twist of fate we asked him for directions and he pointed us across the street and told us to follow that street until it stopped and he told us that we would be on the right street.  The young man was correct, and I thank him (even though I doubt he will read this). 

Okay sure there was a happy ending and yes I did steal most of the previous paragraphs from my music blog (keep up with me here) but those are all moot points.  The happy ending was that we found where we were going and we had a great time but come on!  Would it actually kill the blue behemoth to pick her head up and give a little more than what appeared to be the swatting of a fly?  Come to think of it maybe it was a fly, I'm guessing that as she was not looking whilst she did that little wave that leads me to believe that her attention was elsewhere. 

Seeing the one solitary wave could have been an attempt to swat said fly from getting onto the carcass of the gazelle she probably had stashed under her little desk.  It is indeed possible that she had a larger game animal under the table either that or she was reading the label on the bottle of arsenic and trying  to figure out how much she would have to give her husband so he would be dead.  I'm guessing it would be the gazelle (or other large game animal) as I'm fairly confident she couldn't read the label of the bottle with all of that ketchup from her fingers making it illegible.

Sure she has a crappy job but its a city job and I'm guessing (I could be wrong about this one) she is probably in a union so she is probably paid fairly well.  At this time in history I'm thinking any person that needs a job right now would jump at the opportunity to have that crappy job and I'm guessing that the Brookfield Zoo would appreciate having the random disappearance of gazelle actually stop.  If, by some strange coincidence or twist of fate (karmic retribution at its finest) the "Fourth Moon" reads this (or has it read to her), do yourself a favor and smile, learn to enjoy helping people and take pride in your job and put down that gazelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment